Monday, March 5, 2012

US: Frack Attack Moving Across the Landscape

Karen Truelove from Silt, CO - source
Frack Attack Moving Across the Landscape by Michael McCarty

Silt, Colorado -- Our house has a big picture window on the upper level, facing south. I often sit behind it before the sun arrives, with coffee, looking. I like to observe the sun’s first searching rays wake up the mountain peaks above us, each one receiving its due as the sun climbs skyward.

I study my view, on the lookout for the flick of a mule deer’s ear in the pasture to our west, the prance of a coyote as he heads for the safety of protective cover, or the twitch of a magpie’s tail in the apricot tree in our garden. For more than a couple of years -- in fact an eternity -- I have watched in horror as the natural gas drilling rigs arrive and deploy their forces on the brushy slopes and hills across the Colorado River. Ever closer, they dot the landscape of my picture window in increasing numbers, and fill my mind with increasing dread and impending doom. I wish they would go away. I wish I could wave my hand and wish them away. Just go away, I pray.

When we purchased our property, we were told that our area had been explored in the past and it was found that it was not economically feasible to recover what gas deposits existed below our feet. No one then talked of the many impacts of heavy truck traffic, the legalities of natural gas leases, and the harsh realities of the split estate. Then came hydraulic fracturing and our world changed. We did not see it coming. We were not consulted.

Read more..

do it yourself solar power kits

No comments:

Post a Comment